Quick Links

Useful Links

Welcome to SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability)

School Ethos and Approach To SEND 

We work extremely hard to make sure all our students achieve their individual, educational potential. We employ a dedicated team of specialists to look after the needs of the children in our care.  

Through close working relationships with our feeder Primary schools and the staff at Rivington and Blackrod High School, children who have learning problems are identified early in their school career. To support this, we have a dedicated Special Needs team who, under the guidance of experienced specialists, provide extra help for our students who display difficulties in accessing the curriculum.  

Students may be withdrawn from lessons either individually or in small groups for more individual help, or extra support may be provided in the subject lessons by our team of Teaching Assistants.  

Our aim is to allow as many students as possible to gain access to the full National Curriculum by providing appropriate support where needed. All courses and groupings are constructed to allow students to be correctly challenged in their learning with due regard to the equally important needs of all children, from the most gifted to those who experience learning difficulties.   


If you think your child has a Special Educational Need or Disability, please contact the school and make an appointment with Mrs J Rawlings (SENCO), to discuss your concerns. The SENCO can be contacted on (01204) 333266 or email JRawlings@rbhs.co.uk. Your concerns can also be expressed to your child’s Pastoral Year Team who will pass the details onto the SENCO.  

More Information 

See below reports and policies for more specific information relating to Special Educational Needs at Rivington and Blackrod High School. 

Information about the Local Authority Provision for Children and Young People 

There is further detail on the Local Offer for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and their families on the local authority website- please click below: