We have a wide range of enrichment activities on offer at Rivington and Blackrod Sixth Form. These change annually and in recent years have included:
- Visits to a wide range of universities, including Manchester and Cambridge
- Attendance at the Royal College of Surgeons Conference at Keele University, for aspiring doctors
- Mentoring and careers guidance by a partner from a leading Manchester Law firm
- A partnership agreement with Lancaster University that involves a mentoring programme, residential visits and access to a special bursary
- A trip to New York and an exchange visit with families in Ann Arbour, Michigan
- Football and Netball in the North West England Colleges League
- Drama and music productions
- Placements in local primary schools and care homes
- Lancashire wildlife trust programs in local woods
- Leadership, mentoring and coaching opportunities
- Badminton, athletics, tennis and a range of other sporting opportunities each Wednesday
- Direct entry Gold Duke of Edinburgh, Trip to Krakow and Auschwitz
- Parliament, meeting our MP, sitting in on Prime Minister’s questions and a tour of the building
The Sixth Form Common Room Bistro is open from 10am until 2pm and serves a wide range of hot and cold meals. Sixth form students do not need to go to the main dining room to buy food.
The Bistro operates a system of fingerprint recognition cashless payments, which means that you will need to keep your account topped up. A paying machine is available in the Sixth Form and payments can be made online via ParentPay. There are also two vending machines in the Common Room for hot and cold drinks.
Rivington and Blackrod Sixth Form continues to thrive, offering you a safe and successful bridge between GCSE studies at High School and the independence of life at university and work. We offer you personalised learning pathways and support and guidance in an adult environment which has the atmosphere and range of opportunities that you would expect of a college.
Whether you have been a student at Rivington and Blackrod High School already, or are one of our many students from a wide variety of schools in Bolton and surrounding areas or even further afield, we will continue to support and guide your transition to a new way of learning and future success. Support is offered from a variety of sources, including:
- Through your form tutor who acts as an adviser helping you to plan your future effectively
- From a team of staff dedicated to support and guide you through any academic, personal, health or financial issues
- Through our investment in enhanced facilities to support your learning, including study rooms which are staffed and well-resourced. We also have study pods and extensive access to computers.
As a student at Rivington and Blackrod Sixth Form, you will benefit from regular feedback and guidance, even in the summer holidays when you receive your results.
In an ever-changing world, your success may be determined by your ability to convince employers and university staff that you have qualities in addition to those represented by your academic and vocational studies and qualifications. We have a wide range of activities on offer to our students, and these include extra courses such as:
- General Studies
- Further Maths
- Sporting activities
- Volunteer activities
- Duke of Edinburgh Award
- Visits including Oxford University
- Events including the UCAS Convention and Oxbridge Roadshow and taster courses
We listen carefully to our students, and our expanded facilities are evidence of this. We treat our students as adults, and we have high expectations of all.